All-on-4 Hybrid Denture Treatment
Dr. Jay Lopez is a premier provider of implant retained hybrid dentures in Tucson, AZ. You may see this type of treatment advertised online and in print and TV media as “teeth in a day” or “all-on-4 implant treatment.” “All-on-4” refers to the ability to secure a hybrid denture on as few as four dental implants. Depending on your mouth, your treatment may be “all-on-4 or more,” but the number of implants will be few.
Dr. Jay Lopez in Tucson, Arizona uses dental implants manufactured by Biohorizons, Nobel Biocare, Astra Tech Implant System, Neodent by Straumann, and Megagen Implant Systems. These implants and their components are clinically proven by some of the most thorough and in-depth research in the industry. Four dental implants can retain a full upper or lower arch of prosthetic teeth with complete comfort, optimal natural beauty, and full biting function. Fixing a custom overdenture on implants has many benefits. Although the initial investment is more expensive than a new removable denture, removable dentures require relining and eventual replacement more often, which can add up over time to cost as much or more than an overdenture that is supported and fixed on dental implants.
Implant Treatment to Restore a Complete Arch with as Few as 4 Implants
If you are missing all your natural teeth on an upper or lower arch, an overdenture fixed on dental implants can completely restore natural function and appearance. When full dentures (including prosthetic teeth and gum tissue) completely cover the alveolar ridge and are firmly anchored to the jaw with dental implants, they are called “hybrid dentures or fixed removable dentures.” Once they are fixed on dental implants, hybrid dentures can only be removed by a dentist. All slippage is eliminated. Unlike removable traditional complete dentures, hybrid dentures do not cover the palate (roof) of the mouth. This means you will be able to taste and enjoy your food better.
The good news is that an upper or lower hybrid denture can be supported and fixed on as few as four dental implants. Depending on your circumstances, Dr. Lopez can design treatment with the minimal number of implants that is right for you.
The Benefits of Hybrid Dentures
- Because placing implants for a hybrid denture is normally done without additional procedures (even on patients who have had some bone loss), you can get a full set of replacement teeth in minimal appointments. This is a quick, efficient, cost-effective means to getting a beautiful smile and full biting function.
- Hybrid dentures are stable and function ideally for aesthetics and biting force. The strength of your bite will be so increased that you can eat all of your favorite foods.
- Hybrid dentures preserve your jawbone quality and bone density. If you do not replace missing teeth or if you wear a removable denture, your bone will atrophy, and your facial structure will change, taking on a more aged appearance.
- Gum tissue irritation that occurs when dentures slip or when they no longer fit well will be eliminated. The reason removable dentures become less well fitting over time is because the underlying bone atrophies (shrinks) and your gum tissue changes to conform to the bone.
- You will no longer need to use messy creams or adhesives to secure your denture in place. And, because your new hybrid denture does not cover the roof of your mouth, you will be able to taste and enjoy your food better.
- Your health will improve as you drink more water without fear of loosening your denture and as you eat the full range of nutritious foods.
- You will be able to clean your hybrid denture like natural teeth. Just brush, floss, and use a Waterpik®.
- Research has demonstrated that, with proper care, overdentures that are supported and fixed on implants can last up to ten years. Removable overdentures typically need to be relined and remade more often.
What to Expect When Getting a Hybrid Denture
When you come in for your complimentary dental implant consultation, Dr. Lopez will evaluate your special oral health circumstances and discuss the best treatment options for you.
If you are a good candidate for this treatment, you will find the process is simple. Following an initial consultation, imaging, and treatment planning, Dr. Jay Lopez will have you return for a second appointment. At this second appointment, you will have a 3D digital impression taken of your mouth for the fabrication of the computer guided surgical splint and temporary (“provisional”) denture. Then at your next appointment, Dr. Lopez will place the dental implants in your jawbone using a gentle surgical technique. You will be sedated during this procedure. Each implant is a small titanium post that is fully biocompatible. Abutments will be placed on these implants, and a temporary (“provisional”) denture will be seated on these abutments.
After your outpatient surgery in our office, you will start to resume your modified activities the following day. For the next several weeks, the bone tissue of your jaw will grow around each implant and anchor it tightly. The biological process of the titanium post integrating with your jawbone is called “osseointegration.” Dr. Lopez will periodically exam your mouth during this time, and when the process is complete, he will make precise impressions of your mouth to send to his dental laboratory.
Dr. Lopez works with a world-class dental laboratory that is fully equipped to make your temporary and final prosthesis. The appropriate shade for your prosthetic teeth and gums will be selected, and our highly skilled technicians will fabricate your replacement teeth and the underlying structures that will be attached to the implants.
Once you receive your final prosthesis and it is fixed onto your implants, you will be advised to brush and floss at least twice daily and have regular check-ups and cleanings in our office. Your hybrid denture will look natural and allow you to chew and function in a way you thought was lost.
If you would like a hybrid denture on both your upper and lower arch, combined treatment can be performed at the same appointment. Although this makes the appointment time longer, it is efficient to accomplish treatment while you are sedated.
Sedation dentistry is one of the areas in which Dr. Lopez has expertise. Because Dr. Lopez is certified to personally administer IV sedation, he can provide you with this highest level of sedation, or if you prefer, he offers lighter oral sedation. Because IV sedation is administered directly into the bloodstream, the effects are immediate, very accurate and safe. With this type of sedation, most patients do not remember their procedure.
With either type of sedation, your overall health will be taken into consideration in planning your treatment and dosage, and your vitals will be monitored throughout the procedure and your recovery period in our office. You will need to have someone with you to drive you home afterwards.
Dr. Lopez Offers an Initial Complimentary Consultation for Replacing Missing Teeth with Implant Treatment
If you are missing a majority or all your teeth on your upper and/or lower arch, you owe it to yourself to explore today’s highest standard of care. Call us today for your free dental implant treatment consultation. After you have all the information you need to make an informed decision, we will invite you to schedule your first treatment appointment. Dr. Lopez and his friendly team will strive to make every visit a wonderful experience.
More articles on our website:
- Why Choose Dr. Jay Lopez for Dental Implants
- Moderate IV Sedation
- Digital 3D Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBT)
- Faster Healing with Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF)
- Dental Implant Information Sheet
- Implant Supported Bridge with Fixed Detachable Hybrid Components
- Tucson Hybrid Dentures Press Release