Faster Healing with Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF)
Platelets are best known for their importance in clotting blood. However, platelets also contain hundreds of proteins called growth factors which are very important in the healing of injuries and post surgically. These growth factors stimulate the stem cells to produce new host tissues as quickly as possible.
Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF), created from the patient’s own blood, has been widely used in medicine for over a decade for such things as heart surgery, orthopedics, oral and maxillofacial surgery, plastic surgery, and dermatology. Dr. Jay Lopez is pleased to offer this technology for his patients for whom he is performing oral surgery.
What are the benefits of PRF?
The benefits of PRF are:
- The patient’s own blood is used to encourage a natural healing process which helps eliminate the risk of infection and rejection, and reduces complications.
- The patient’s own blood is utilized, hence eliminating any disease transmission risk.
- Healing is accelerated due to increased tissue formation from the growth factors.
- Patients report a much greater degree of comfort immediately after their procedure.
In what circumstances is PRF used?
In our Tucson, AZ dental office, Dr. Lopez uses PRF primarily for:
- Bone grafting and sinus lift procedures for implants
- Alveolar ridge augmentation
- Post tooth extraction healing, including wisdom teeth, to reduce the risk of dry socket
- Bone repair of bony defects in the jaw from cysts or trauma
- Fistula repair
How is PRF applied to the surgical site?
A plasma membrane is created by centrifuging the patient’s own blood. This membrane, enriched with the patient’s own growth factors, is then placed over or in the area of the surgical site to stimulate and speed up the healing process. The fibrin may also be mixed with bone grafts to help stimulate bone formation. It is thought to accelerate the formation of blood vessels, which in turn helps with the formation of soft tissue and bone.
Is this procedure safe?
This procedure is both safe and efficient for helping the body repair itself by using its own natural resources. Since the blood used will come from the patient’s own body, disease transmission is not a factor.
Do I have a choice of having this procedure?
Prior to oral surgery, Dr. Lopez will discuss the PRF option with you. This option will not be part of your treatment unless you give your informed consent.
Jay Lopez, D.D.S., continuously trains in the use of the latest technology and scientific (evidence-based) techniques for helping his
The PRF technique is just one example of how Dr. Lopez continuously invests in the training and technology that will enhance his patients’ experiences, speed their recovery, and enhance the outcome.